Post Eleven: your role as a content producer in the context of the Major Project for this module

Your role as a content producer in the context of the Major Project for this module

As a team we chose to focus our topic on the company Amazon. This allowed us to pin point issues that they cause in climate change and all focus on individual aspects for the project. After a few meetings we had decided on Luke researching about packaging and how to make it as sustainable as possible. Then Denisa was to do research into delivery vans and the conversion to electric. I was to research into non renewable energy consumption and how we must strive towards a carbon positive future. Jack then took it upon himself to do detailed research into the company and everything that may be of concern with regards to climate change.

I started by gathering information from various sources on the internet early on in the project. I was initially focusing on how we should focus on renewable energy like solar and wind. In the couple of weeks leading up to the project however I watched a documentary called Planet of the Humans on Youtube. This completely debunked solar and wind energy and my entire argument. I was devastated as the hopelessness of the news as well as the idea of me having to start from scratch again with the possibility of no solutions. 

After I watched the documentary I quickly shared it into our Whatsapp group chat in case anyone needed to see it and we briefly discussed into contents. 
At this same time I was reading the amazing book "Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow" by Yuval Noah Harari. This gave me a deep incite into the possible future we are going towards and helped me construct a view of how to approach the amazon project. It also has a large chapter dedicated to the Anthropocene which also aided me significantly. I actually got inspiration to read the book after Luke and I had a meeting and Yuval Noah Harari  original book Homo Sapiens came into the discussion.
I had seen a ted talk called "How Fear of Nuclear Energy is Hurting the Planet" by Michael Shellerger a few months before and remembered that this could possibly be a solution. After re-watching that then watching a Ted Talk debate on solar and wind versus nuclear and various other videos on the pros and cons and how nuclear energy actually worked and of course the exciting Thorium edition people are excited about, I felt I could go ahead and have a good argument for the presentation. Although its not ideal, Nuclear is coming across like one of our only solutions to continue using as much energy as we love to use in today's world. 
I decided if I highlight a lot of the negatives fossil fuels have on our planet then this may sway the audiences viewpoint to a greener future then lightly touch on possible ways to do so. I found such stifling facts on how horrific fossil fuels really are not just for the planet and our fellow animals but also us humans in our daily lives. 
As a group we decided for the presentation to be very visual and have little to no words. This meant that our script had to be very engaging. I employed skills I had gained in my English classes in leaving cert to help provoke interest by applying techniques such as a rhetorical question, use of the word "our", call to action vocabulary, repetition, striking facts and varying sentence lengths. 
I had gathered many images on the horrible effects climate change was having the earth now and futuristic images on where it could all lead to. Due to an overflow of good images we thought instead of having them for just my slides it would be a good idea to lead in with a few slides that explain what climate change is rather than jumping into the deep end at the beginning of the presentation. I was absolutely delighted everyone agreed with this approach. I particularly love the contrast of the somewhat strangely happy diagram in slide 2 compared to the reality of slide 3 and 4. This juxtaposition helped subconsciously strengthen our message of the urgency of climate change. 

 vs  &



Overall I found the production of all the content to be really enjoyable especially with such brilliant team mates. It was fascinating to see all our work come together and design a beautiful simple but captivating slideshow. 



Comments

Popular Posts